Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Homemade Pizza Pops

This is a no-brainer, but it could be used for a variety of other recipes so I'll share it anyway.

HOMEMADE PIZZA POPS
1 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. instant yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. water
1/3 c. butter
1 egg
1/2 c. flour
1/2 small can of pizza sauce
pizza toppings, diced (I used about 12-15 slices of assorted deli meat, but you could use whatever you like)
1 c. mozzarella cheese, grated (next time I'll splurge and buy it already grated. The skin on my knuckle is worth the extra couple dollars!)

Combine the first 3 ingredients. Heat water and butter until butter has melted and liquid is hot to the touch. Add to the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in egg, and then stir in the remaining flour to form a soft dough. Let it rise for about 30 minutes, then roll it out and use a glass to cut out 16 circles. Put some pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese on one circle, then lay another one on top and pinch the edges together. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
This made a really nice dough. I had to stretch each one a little bit to fit the toppings in, but it wasn't too complicated. I think these would be handy for a variety of other fillings:

-scrambled eggs, bacon, and some grated cheese
-leftover chili, stew, chicken, etc.
-taco meat with some diced tomato and cheese
-mini meatballs
-pie filling

I'm not sure how well these would reheat if you froze them, but you could always try! It'd be handy to have some in the freezer for quick lunches/snacks.
Pin It!

2 comments:

miciwin said...

hey kathy,
we make these too but we usually combine dessert with them too and make apple ones or scrumptious choco-holic ones!

Unknown said...

I just tried these last night and love them! I decreased the amount of yeast to 1 tsp and next time I make them I'll decrease the butter, too as the dough was quite oily even after baking.